Monday, January 08, 2007

What if God was one of us?

Being a photographer, I feel extremely blessed to have a job that I absolutely love and that allows me the privilege to express myself creatively. However, unlike most jobs, there is no security of where your next pay check will come from. A few years ago when I had a corporate job, it was easy for me to obey God’s request for us to tithe and give 10% of our earnings back to a church or an area you might see with a need. However, when I started my own business, I slowly began to stop giving as time went on because there was always some new piece of equipment to upgrade to, or some new marketing investment, or heck, just bills to live. So one of my resolutions for 2007 that I felt the Lord tugging on my heart about was to start tithing again and putting God back FIRST in my finances.

This time of year is especially hard to start that promise with holiday debts to be paid, but I made a vow that no matter what bills need to be paid, I will keep my word to give away a little of each paycheck I receive. I’m sharing it on here so my friends can keep me accountable.

Then tonight, I received a test of my commitment.

On the way to my yoga class, I stopped by to pick up my dry cleaning. As I was walking to my car, this man in a camouflage outfit was walking near by and struck up a small talk conversation with me. As I was starting to get in my car, running late to yoga now, he said “Ma’am, I’m embarrassed to ask you this, but I’m a retired Marine Corp and now I’m living on the streets, and I’m starving. Would you happen to have any money so I can afford to eat tonight?” I knew in that moment, God was testing my heart with my new promise if I would give as Jesus would, or keep the money to myself. I didn’t know if his story was true or if he would spend it on something other than food, but I also knew it wasn’t my place to judge. I normally don’t carry cash on me, but in that moment I remembered my mom had given me some a few days earlier to pay me back for something. So, without hesitation I reached in my wallet and gave him some money. God says in His word "Ask and you shall receive," and God knows there have been too many times to count that I have asked and thankfully received. So how could I turn this man down who humbled himself enough to ask?

But it was his response that humbled me. He said, “Thank you so much and God bless you. Do you have a business card I can mail you the money back one day?” I was so amazed that here, someone with nothing wanted to make his own vow to pay me back. But I simply told him “God bless you too, and please consider it a gift.”

As I drove away, I tried to look into my rearview mirror to see where he walked off to, but funny, I couldn’t find him. It was one of those moments that made me wonder like that Joan Osbourne song asks, “What if God was one of us?”

Also as I drove away, I prayed over the money I gave him telling God how that was a big sacrifice for me to give with certain bills that needed to be paid, and every penny counts right now, but that I’m trying my best to still be obedient and give when I see an opportunity for it, and to please bear fruit from the seeds I’m planting.

So I go to yoga and an hour later come home to check my email. What do I find but a bunch of new inquiries from brides that said they loved my work and are ready to book me. Also too, in looking at the time of the emails, they were sent back to back RIGHT after I had placed the money in the homeless guy’s hand.

I just started crying at how faithful God is. As humans, it’s so easy for us to want to doubt and do things our own way. And as Christians, the hardest sacrifice can be letting go of the money God has given us. But what I hope you will gain from this story is that, if we just trust and obey Him, God WILL provide everytime.

To go along with this story, I’m reposting a contest video I made last year that I hope encourages you to give “a little more”.

27 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Bless you Scarlett!! Its such a hard thing to do at times, and at other times so easy. I wonder why, being tested I guess. Im glad you are sticking by your commitment, and God recognizes you for that! Many blessings in 2007!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Shyla said...

Scarlett darling.... I cant tell you what perfect timing this post was. I was just having this conversation with God while driving home all of 20 min ago. This totally just confirms everything I was blabbering about. Thank you for being amazing missy!!

3:36 AM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

wow Scarlett, that was amazing! It has amazed us, as God has shown us what he has wanted us to do with our money and then he blows us away when we obeys.

Praise him!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing story. Just moments ago I was discussing this very thing with a coworker - if we just believe and have faith, God will provide. I know 2007 will be an amazing year for us because has shown both you and me that he will challenge us and bless us both!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Mike- It definitely is hard. I hope 2007 brings you blessings too!

Shyla- Awww make me cry all over again. I'm so glad God was able to use this story to confirm your prayers! Your amazing too! I hope to meet you soon!

Katie- Totally, all praise goes to Him.

Rachel- Again, that's so great the timing of you reading this. I'm so glad so many are getting a lot of out of the story! I remember a long time ago our old bible study teacher Carrie said "God brings us out of the fire so that we will share it with others, not keep the testimony to ourselves."

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing testimony. The truly astounding thing is that I'm sure we all have these opportunities every day, but how many do we miss?

Such experiences always remind me of James 4:17

Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

Heavy stuff, but we really need to keep our eyes, ears and hearts open to the opportunities that God puts in our path every day.

He always comes through for us.

Cheers, Dan.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Becky Waurio said...

Okay, so I was totally going to comment on a different post, but then I read this and I just had to say something. This is such an amazing story and an incredible testament of God's faithfulness. It is so refreshing.

I understand the financial crunch -- and tithing is something I struggle with. It's encouraging to hear stories where God does provide when we follow his ways.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like Hebrews 13:2

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Also Malachi 3:10

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse so that there may be food in My house, and test me now in this." says the Lord of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows."

9:53 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Dan- Wow, are you really from Austrailia? (I looked at your blog and website.) But thank you so much for the sweet words. James 4:17 was a great reference to this story. Thanks!

Anonymous- Those were some great verses. I'd love to know who you are. :-)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Julie- Thanks too!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

wow, that story gave me chills! And I love the music video, it was beautifully done!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

Wow, awesome video, Scarlett! Very well done and a great message, for sure. Thanks for sharing it! Nice to have stumbled across your blog. I'm bookmarking it to check back again!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Michelle- Awww I'm so glad the story gave you chills! That means a lot to me.

Christian- I'm glad you found my blog! Thanks for saying hello and your wonderful compliments.

To everyone else, I've been receiving some personal emails in relation to this story, and I just want to thank everyone so much for taking the time to share how this story moved you. I almost didn't post it because I was afraid of looking "preachy", but I knew God didn't give me a testimony to keep to myself. I feel so blessed to have been used to bless your life through it! :-)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Luna Photography said...

Scarlett, I have tithed all my life but sometimes strayed away from being faithful. Just today I was questioning if I could do it this paycheck and this has not only helped me make my decision but also want to be more faith to God as He is always so faithful to me. Thank you for your obedience.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Jennifer- WOW, I'm so touched that my story inspired you with your decision from your latest paycheck. That means so much to me. I can't tell you what a great week of doors opening this has been for me since my decision earlier this week. Be sure to report back on God blesses your portion. A good quote I heard this morning was "God is not a consumer, He's a creator and waiting to create something from what you give him."

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"God is not a consumer, He's a creator and waiting to create something from what you give him."

That's very encouraging Scarlett. Its been a while I last tithe too.

I must practice giving more in 2007 !

9:52 PM  
Blogger Athena said...

Scarlett
What a wonderful testimony. I too recommitted my following of Christ and the obedience of giving as He gave. I have been so blessed. I recently had a conversation with a DJ at a party we were both working. I – photography and Tom – music. He was telling me how he had made a commitment of not working on Sunday last year and how God had blessed him because of that commitment. At the end of the year he had booked more events than the year before. God truly does bless us for our faithfulness.
I pray you have a bountiful year.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Julia Christopher Photography said...

Scarlett, that is so awesome. God is so faithful and He is beyond words, isn't he? I pray that He will bless you beyond your wildest dreams this year and that He will continue to give you opportunities like that... it is very evident that you love Him and very clear that He is crazy about you... Take care and God Bless!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Kee- That's a great resolution for the new year!

Athena- Thanks so much for sharing your story too. I pray for a bountiful year for you too!

Julia- God definitely is faithful, I always want to kick myself for the times I lose faith. Thank you for your sweet prayers! I pray the same for you!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. Great post. Great video. Malachi 3:10 assures us that if you test God in your faitfulness, he will richly bless you. I know it's hard for us self-employed types to tithe, but God IS faithful. Keep the faith.

P.S. Was that shot in old St. Augustine? I was just there this past week with my family after Video 07 convention.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Ron- Good eye! Yup, that was in St. Augustine! Let me know next time you are in the area, it would be great to meet ya!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scarlett - I was on Ben Vigil's blog looking at some photos when I decided to click on a link to your blog. I just want to say how much I appreciate your post. You actually made me cry! Sometimes we get so caught up in our own daily struggles that we miss the big picture. One of our sermons recently was "What are you working on that is Big?" That is a really hard question!

That video was amazing as well. Who is that guy? He was great!

Wishing you a successful and fulfilling year!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Anonymous- May I ask who you are? But thank you for sharing how my rambling thoughts impacted your life. I'm so touched to hear I even made you cry. Wow, that makes cry and humble to think my words can be used like that in someone else's life.

The video was made for a Shawn McDonald video contest, but the guy in the video was just a friend lip synching and playing Shawn's part. Definitely check out Shawn's music, he's amazing!! http://shawnmcdonaldmusic.com

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Scarlett. I'll check out Shawn's site. I signed in as anonymous because I'm not registered on the blogs yet. Something I plan to do this month... I'm Linda in Atlanta. I publish a wedding planner here which is why I was poking around Ben's site and then found yours. Have a great day!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Awesome nice to meet you Linda! That's cool to hear you publish a wedding planning guide. I was just in Atlanta shooting a wedding!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Tracie Wheeler said...

Scarlett,
Thanks for sharing your story with us! God was really speaking to me through it. If we are obedient, He will provide!
By the way, I loved the video!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Awww, thank YOU Tracie for your sweet words! It has been awesome to watch how God has turned my seeds I planted into plentiful fruit. How did you find my blog? Thanks for saying hi!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home