Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lady in Waiting.

Last year I saw this t-shirt that said "Always late, but worth the wait." I couldn't help but chuckle and be tempted to buy it, but I didn't. I know it's a bad habit, I don't want to rub it in. If anyone knows me, they know to tell me to get to a destination half an hour earlier so I will actually get there on time. It's not that I mean to be late, it just... happens. (Except to weddings, I'm never late to that. ha!) I think it has to do with my pet peeve of waiting. I would rather be late than have to sit around and wait for others to get somewhere. I know, it's a terrible cycle with how I then make others wait. I'm trying to get better. I promise.

But today, I think God is the one chuckling as He makes up for lost time and all the times I've made others wait for me. Between my last trip to Chicago and this trip to Las Vegas for a destination wedding, I have never had to wait more in my life on all the airline delays. On my way back to the airport today, after having my AM flight reschedule to late PM, I heard one of my favorite worship songs "I Will Praise You in this Storm" on the radio, which is exactly what I needed to be reminded of considering the airline delays this time were because of thunderstorms in Dallas where my connecting flight is.

But as I sit here... waiting... and waiting... and waiting in the Jacksonville airport, with now yet ANOTHER delay, I was thinking of all the other areas in my life that I am currently waiting on that I need to remember to praise God in the waiting.

I'm waiting to hear further news about my Aunt Ruby's condition.

I'm waiting to meet my husband.

I'm waiting to buy a new car.

I'm waiting to find a new church home.

I'm waiting to be a mother.

I'm waiting to grow out of acne.

I'm waiting for time off to take a real vacation.

And as I write out my list, I realize, all the things I'm waiting on really are so trivial compared to a lot of needs people are waiting on (except about my wonderful Aunt Ruby!) Yesterday I was getting a pedicure and on either side of me were a mom and a daughter getting pedicures. Their eyes were red and dark circles under their eyes and I could tell something was wrong. Then the daughter started talking about her dad in ICU and how they were waiting every day for her dad to recover. She then went on to tell me how her poor mom had been by his side 24 hours for the past 3 weeks, and she finally kidnapped her mom to get out of the hospital and do something nice for herself like the pedicure.

God doesn't need fireworks to talk to me. It's in those everyday moments where He truly puts into perspective for me what is important in life. Family, love, and health. I do always keep those three close to my heart, but so many times in the busyness of life, I can't help but get distracted like any human being.

I told the daughter and mom that I would be praying for their dad, Terry. I hope you will lift him up in prayer too as they wait the ultimate wait for his recovery, God willing.

Gotta run, my flight is FINALLY boarding. Woo hoo!

Stay tuned for some fabulous pics of Corinna and Bobby tomorrow in Vegas!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint"

Thank goodness that God is always with us, every step of the way. He guides and directs our paths. He protects us from harm. He teaches us patience in mysterious ways!

Much wisdom can be learned from the pain - like, what took me so long to go first class?

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Scarlett! Long time no talk! I love that book, Lady in Waiting! It definitely has inspiried me in my walk with God.
By the way, have you ever tried Access church in Jacksonville? It's non denominational, and a sattelite campus for a church I used to attend in ATL. You might like it!
http://www.accesschurch.org/
Hope to see ya soon! :)

7:42 AM  
Blogger Mary Marantz said...

Oh!! that's so totally me! I have this huge issue with getting somewhere early and having to wait on everyone else, so I'm ALWAYS late! I really need to work on that too...we can support each other! :)

6:03 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Great post Scarlett, a lot to ponder and remember. We all get too busy and lose perspective. I got to say though, I knew there was a reason I was always late, now I know what it is!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pictures! I hope you have a great trip and a wonderful time. Do not worry about waiting - God takes care of us in time. "But the waiting is the hardest part..." Tom Petty

I'm waiting for: a raise or new job, a dog, a bigger house

Take care! I will keep your family in prayer.

4:09 PM  
Blogger anna joy said...

Amen sister. Waiting is the bane of my existence, but I'm learning that God accomplishes so much during out 'waiting' on something. Cruel, but not really in the long run, hah! ;)

12:58 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Thanks Mom!

Brooke- Cool thanks for letting me know about that church. I'll have to check it out.

Mary Bess- Ha ha, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Mike- Great minds think alike!

Rachel- Glad to have you has a friend to wait with.

Anna- It's so true! It's awesome to look back at all God is accomplishing in the waiting.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett,

You are an amazing and truly beautiful woman! I am a big fan. :)

11:56 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Cyrstal- Wow, what a compliment. I hope though that we consider each other friends instead. :-)

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home