Monday, May 14, 2007

A sparkling Ruby.

A few years ago during a visit to my Aunt Ruby's, she pulled a pale pink sparkly chaffon dress out of her closet to show my mom and I.

"I've had this dress for years, but never had anywhere to wear it," she told us.

"I know the perfect place, you can wear it to my wedding one day," I said trying to encourage her.

"Honey, I love you, but I'm not getting any younger," she said knowing how picky I am when it comes to guys and that my wedding was probably waaaay off in the future. ha!

She did however get to wear the dress to my grandparent's 50th anniversary party a few years ago, and she looked absolutely stunning in it as she sparkled the night way.

But now, my heart is saddened, because Aunt Ruby will not even get to be at my wedding one day like I had hoped.

This weekend, my family and I found out that God is getting ready to take her home soon. Last week, she was put in the hospital and the doctors have discovered that she has pancreatic cancer with a prognosis of 4 months. Or as her son, sweet Chris, said when he heard the news, "Momma only has one more Watermelon Festival to go." The Watermelon Festival is an annual event held each summer in their small town of Varnville, South Carolina put on every year to celebrate their beloved fruit with good ol' fashioned parades, carnivals and arts and crafts. It's the one event Aunt Ruby and Chris and Larry always looked forward to every year.

I was in Orlando over the weekend shooting a wedding and staying with my grandparents. My grandma is Aunt Ruby's one and only sister, and we called her Saturday night when Aunt Ruby was coming in from the hospital. Despite the news, Aunt Ruby sounded in good spirits and was glad to be home. She decided not to undergo any treatments like chemo, and instead let the good Lord take her home when He's ready. And what a celebration that will be as the angels dance in the heavens welcoming one of their faithful servants.

One of the greatest Christian ladies I know due to her example of faith and continuous giving strength, Aunt Ruby has been blessed to live a full 83 years. But my heart is also saddened for her boys, Chris and Larry. Due to their mental disabilities, Aunt Ruby has taken care of them their whole 50+ years, and all they have ever known is the old Southern home they have grown up in and still live in to this day. Now their world is about to be turned upside down and my heart breaks for them knowing how much the loss of their mom is going to break their hearts.

For those reading this, I hope that you will take a few moments to pray for Aunt Ruby and for God's comfort as she lives out her remaining days. Also please lift up Chris and Larry as they transition in a new life without their mom now under the care of their other siblings.

Before Aunt Ruby was sent to the hospital, she and the boys were featured on the cover of their local newspaper for some makeover changes to the columns on their historic home built in 1911. God always has interesting timing with things like that, but I'm glad Chris and Larry will be able to carry on this photo and article in remembrance of their mom.


Click to enlarge to read the whole thing.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for paying tribute to one of the "great ladies of the South." Ruby is my favorite aunt. I always admired her courage, tenacity and joyful spirit in the midst of many storms in life.

Despite her trials, she lived life to the fullest each day. She has seen it all. And she has conquered it all through love and her faith in the Lord. Her many children and her friends in the sleepy little town of Varnville, South Carolina adore her.

Even now, in her eighties, she continues to care for her disabled sons at home. Long ago she refused to have them put in institutions. Through the power of a Mother's love and a lot of help from God, and family and friends, she was able to give Larry and Chris a "normal" life in a small town.

They each pursued their own passions for living. Chris adored Elvis and has created an "Elvis Shrine" in his bedroom. He has always loved music and fancied himself a local "DJ" broadcasting his wisdom and favorite songs to the "low country" around him. Yes, it was really just the walls around him that heard his broadcasts, but it didn't matter to him. To this day his collections of Elvis' original records are probably worth a fortune, as they collect dust in the old storage room.

Larry adored trains. He has a roomful of train models collected over the years. They actually live across from the train tracks which has marked the time of their lives, with its routine whistles and many presents tossed to Larry by conductors as they passed on normal routes.

Now their lives are in God's hands. Their brother Mike will relocate and move in to care for them when it is time. Keep them all in prayer.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have prayed that God grant all of you peace and comfort, as only He can give. My mother says that God sits high, but he looks low, and that is the truth. I pray that you will continue to nurture this pillar in your family and never forget her virtues and values. I also thank Him for her life, and the wonderful influence she has had on you, Scarlett. God bless!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Thanks Mom! You said it all even better than I could!

Terrica- Thank you so much for your sweet words and prayers! You have such a beautiful heart and I'm thankful for our friendship!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Oh, Scarlett...words can't convey how saddened I am to hear of your Aunt Ruby. My prayers are with your family. And your sweet cousins.
However, despite the pain, your work is still gorgeous...the Indian wedding is beautiful!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jill Higgins said...

Scarlett - I will keep your Aunt Ruby and family in my prayers. I remember you telling me about them and how you were looking forward to visiting them on your way home the last time you were here.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Jazzy and Jill- Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers! You girls are the best and have such beautiful hearts.

The latest we heard is that it is now weeks, not months, that she has left. :-( But Chris still insists she won't go until after the Watermelon Festival at the end of June. I'll be curious to see how God works out His perfect timing.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Carole Foret said...

Scarlett, what heart-warming account of your Aunt Ruby and Chris and Larry. They are all going to be in my prayers. Reading about Ruby--she will certainly show those around her how to live to God's glory through her illness. She will go out beautifully! God's timing is indeed perfect. He will provide. Thank you for sharing this--blessings to all of you!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I will pray for her and the family, I know it will be a tough thing to take for everyone. She is to be admired for leaving things in God's hands!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Kenzie Shores Photography said...

Wow, this story has really touched my heart, and I will be sure to keep them all in my prayers. God bless.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home