Thursday, June 14, 2007

To do list

I LOVE movies about overcoming the odds. The old fashioned storyline of when someone tells you you can't do something, and through determination and perserverance, you prove them wrong and come out on top. There are always so many great analogies in these kind of movies for whatever challenge I'm facing in life, and they are always so inspiring to me. Even greater is when they are a true story like "Gracie," which was based on Elizabeth Shue's story (you know, the girl from Adventures in Babysitting) of being the first girl on an all boys soccer team. I was never into sports, but soccer was the one sport I ventured into in middle school for a few seasons before I realized I was a girly girl and had my mom sign me up for modeling classes instead. :-)

Powered by AOL Video


I recently saw this movie with my mom, and there was one line that stuck out to me. As Gracie was moping about the schoolboard telling her she couldn't play on the boys team, her mom says "If you want to limit yourself, that's fine, but don't let other people do it for you." It was the key line in the movie that made Gracie rise to the occasion and really start to kick butt to prove to everyone that she was tough enough to compete with the boys.

I've been thinking tonight about some of the random things I would do if I knew I had no limits. A lot of these are far fetched, but as my poster said hanging in my room as that middle school little girl, "Before the reality comes the dream."

1. Write an inspirational book
2. Star in or direct a movie
3. Be on the cover of a magazine
4. Visit Paris, Italy, or Hawaii
5. Find a cure for cancer

Now I want to know, if you had no limits, what top 5 things would YOU do?

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary Marantz said...

oooh LOVE adventures in babysitting! seriously one of my all time faves!

ok, whew...this is a hard one! I'm gonna go with:

1. Write a series of best sellers (kinda like John Grisham, but not sure I would write about legal stuff...had enough of that in law school!)
2. Travel the world like a celebrity
3. hmmm just plain be a celebrity (but more julia roberts than paris hilton) and be on Oprah!
4. Give my dad an awesome place to retire (like Hawaii!) so he doesn't have to work so hard anymore.
5. See the Portrait House become HUGE and raise millions and millions for charity.

woo hoo! dreamin' BIG is fun!!

xoxo
M:)

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advantures in baby sitting ROCKS!

1. Be an actress in a Broadway musical or play.

2. Be a celebrity - I only want the monetary benefits and the respect - not all of the paparazzi crap.

3. Be the CEO of a non-profit organization.

4. Travel to exotic places without worrying about money or vacation days.

5. Climb a mountain.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Amy Martin said...

Wow, we have 4 of 5 of the same big dreams! Here's mine:

1.Write a book
2.Star in a movie
3.Be on the cover of a magazine or in a major ad campaign (Pantene, anyone?)
4.Win American Idol
5.Find a cure for cancer

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Eliminate AIDS and all other STDs from existance. (So I can get my freak on and stop living in fear)
2. Write an amazing fiction novel that sells more copies than the bible.
3. Create harsher laws for punishing child abusers...let the punishment fit the crime and see some real justice.
4. Be a Victoria Secret Supermodel
5. Travel the world

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see "Gracie" as well...never heard of the movie until I was at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think the store is sponsoring/promoting the movie. As for five things I want to accomplish...hmmnn...

1. Be a National Geographic photographer--travel around the world, take pictures, learn about other cultures, taste different cuisines, ride an elephant, and lastly, have my pictures and stories published in the NG magazine :)

(I think all the five things I want are all mentioned in #1!)

2. Take pictures for an Architect Magazine--travel and visit all these great buildings in the world.

3. Own an island, private jet and have social parties every weekend.

4. Live off a trust fund and never work in Corporate America (hahaha--this will never happen...but it doesn't hurt to dream!).

5. Save someone's life...

Well...girl.. I can't wait to see your face on Vanity Fair, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, and Time (person of the year!) ;-)

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love knowing adventurous people!

Ok, as for me...

1. Travel constantly. First stop? New Zealand!
2. Have residual income so I can fund my own 3D Animation team and learn to play guitar in my spare time. We would attend conferences each year...
3. Spend 3 months out of the year doing Missionary work around the world with my husband and kids.
4. Become a kite surfing pro, and teach the kids too.
5. Go hanggliding with friends.

May all your dreams come true!!! Make them happen!

2:01 PM  
Blogger carla ten eyck said...

OK, here are my top 5 (I am representin' from Mary Bess' camp- CT in the hizz-OUSE!
1) Become a triple black belt in some martial arts, like the crouching tiger, hidden dragon variety- but not tell anyone and then just kick bad guys' butts in the middle of a party and everyone would cheer
2) raise my kids to be caring, intuitive, kind, respectful and generous human beings with killer fashion sense
3) get to my fighting weight- and I'm not talking about fighting over my place in the buffet line fighting, more like play soccer like in high school fighing
4) have the ability to be able to diffuse potentially life-threatening or scary situations with humor
5) start a high end photography studio with another rock star photographer who is as cool as me

6:29 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

This is great! I love reading all your entries! It's awesome to be surrounded by big dreamers too! Here's to turning our dreams into beautiful realities!

Mary Bess- Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog! What a surpirse!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home