Monday, March 26, 2007

Receiving is in the giving

In a previous post, I wrote about my commitment to tithe this year and give the money to my sweet Aunt Ruby who is in need of it more than I am. With a neverending wishlist of the newest and latest equipment to buy for the business, it has definitely been testing my faith to keep my promise to her these first months of the year by giving to her before I buy my new gadgets, but I have still followed through trusting that by putting God first in my finances, He would provide somehow.

Then today, something cool happened where God showed me His faithfulness for my faithfulness.

I received a HUGE out of the blue check in the mail. Apparently, one of my brides, Chrissy Breen, won a grand prize at the bridal show we met at, and part of that prize went to me as one of her vendors. (Speaking of Chrissy, I'm currently working on her awesome Bridal Glamour music video. Check back soon to see the premiere of it!)

Also too, last week, I received a huge rebate check from Canon. I was expecting a certain amount, but turns I received double that amount.

So as I was walking home from the mailbox today, I was adding up in my head how the extra money I received from the Canon rebate, and now from the bridal show prize money, it equals exactly what I have already given to my Aunt Ruby in the months of January and February. I just stood amazed at how God had surprised me and given me back through unexpected ways what I had already given.

It reminded me of this awesome movie I saw recently, "The Ultimate Gift." It has a simliar lesson in it, about being given money, and do we decide to keep it all or for ourselves, or give first like God instructs us? For a long time I didn't believe in tithing, but in the past few years I've really come to see how when we are obedient in the area of our finances, God uses our tithe as seeds to multiply what He wants to ultimately give us.

So since I had written about it before, I just wanted to give an update on that and how God is moving in my life through it.

If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the movie. Not to mention it stars that precious little girl from "Little Miss Sunshine." Here's the trailer.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Barlow said...

Awesome post Scarlett! :)
Yeah, the Ultimate Gift was such an incredible movie!!
Tithing is really so awesome! I'm so glad God set up a system like that in that it is blessing others but it's also opening the door for God to be able to work even more in our lives!! :)

4:58 PM  
Blogger janelle lynn photography said...

Wow! That's awesome Scarlett. :-)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Jessica C. Moritz said...

Scarlett you are AWESOME!

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! When we give to others God certainly notices and gives back. I had a conversation with my mom about this the other day, and she (like you and me) finds more joy in giving than in receiving. Bravo Scarlett! Captivating Studios is successful because of your title and the longing in your heart to help others!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

corretion: I meant talent and not "title" in my post.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Peter Chung said...

Scarlett!

Thank you for sharing the things that are going on in your heart... you are always an encouragement to do the right thing.

Praise God for the work He is doing!

Peter
Kairos Moment Wedding Films

1:21 PM  
Blogger Blue Mountain Photo Works said...

Scarlett, thank you for posting about what God is doing in your life. That's so awesome! I so wanna see that movie now. Thanks for posting a preview for us.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Awww you are all so sweet. I'm glad you could be encouraged by my story!

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home