Friday, July 13, 2007

Dinner with Paula Deen

I love Savannah, Georgia.

If there is anywhere else in the country I would want to live, it would be this sleepy Southern town. Especially as a photographer, everywhere you go, it's one picturesque spot after another. I especially love when I get to shoot weddings in Savannah. I got to return for last weekend's 7/7/7 wedding, and for dinner the night before, my friend and second shooter, Amy Martin, and I had dinner at the famous Paula Deen restaurant, Lady and Sons.

A few years ago, before she ever became the Food Network TV star that is she today, my parents and I ate at her restaurant when it was just a small little restaurant. She was in the back hustling up dinner like it was her own kitchen, and she was in and out from the back to the front personally bringing out the new helpings to the buffet herself. Now the restaurant takes up three floors of Southern hospitality with people waiting in lines around the corner just to get a table. Though the location has changed, the food hasn't, and it was just as delicious as I remember it. With an unlimited buffet of collard greens, macaroni and cheese, yams, butter beans, fried chicken (I smelled it on Amy's plate, mmmm, but just veggies for me!), biscuits and black eyed peas, Amy and I literally needed a wheelbarrel to haul us out of there after our dinner. If you ever visit Savannah, this is a must-eat restaurant. But you have to get their early to put your name on the waiting list. Luckily they were able to squeeze us in to two seats at the bar so we didn't have to wait long!


Everyone waiting outside. And tourists driving by.




My first plate of dinner.


Amy's first plate.


Posing with Miss Paula Deen herself! Ok, so not THE Paula Deen, but she wasn't in town, so this was the closest we could get.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl! funny you blogged about this-- my mom & my daughter got to meet Paula a couple of days ago in Greenville (SC). She was at the Super Bilo signing her new book. My daughter got her pic made with her on my mom's cell phone. Once I figure out how to upload it to my computer I'll have to post it! We all hope to make it to her restaurant soon- the food looks great!:)

1:33 AM  
Blogger Rene Williams said...

My mouth is now officially watering at the sight of those gorgeous veggies! That's it! I'm headed to the farmers market today to get some fresh shelled peas, tomatoes, baby cukes, vidalia onions, silver queen corn, okra, and I'm cooking it up with home-made macaroni and cheese and buttermilk biscuits! And of course some fresh iced tea served in Grandma Corene's amber crystal glasses. I think I'll make some Georgia peach cobbler while I'm at it.

Shall I set an extra plate at the table?

Love, Mamma

8:51 AM  
Blogger Amy Martin said...

hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about my face in that last pic, but you and Paula look great! LOL :) fun times!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Barely Domestic Mama said...

Yummy. The Lady and Sons rocks! I went there as a part of a Ladies outing for the church I was attending a little over two years ago. My best friend and I got to meet and take a picture with the sons, Jamie and Bobby. I have that picture in my myspace profile. I have the biggest goofiest smile ever because Bobby had his arm around me for the picture. Granted he was probably excited to see the two young women out of such a large group of older women. Ha ha.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

Oh yum! Thanks for posting this. It looks wonderful. I am not sure when I will make it to Savannah any time soon, but if I do I will check this place out!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Amy Wood- Small world!! Definitely stop by her restaurant sometime. It's yummy!

Mom- Ha, yeah Paula was good, but not as good as your Southern cooking!

Amy- You're so funny! I love our Charlie's Angel's pics!

FLAngel- So cool that you've met her sons!

Melissa- Thanks girl! It was indeed wonderful!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Oh my word...Paula Dean!!! I love her and she loves butter...we were destined to be BEST FRIENDS! I'm SO jealous you got to eat at her restaurant!! ;)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Jazz- LOL, I know Paula is awesome! You should make a special trip to Savannah to eat there sometime. And if you do, let me know, and I'll join you! :-)

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home