Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Vegetarian on the run

For the past 26 years, I have hated two things: vegetables and running. Ok, hate is a strong word, let me rephrase. I have not preferred vegetables and running. It's not that I never ate veggies or ran, I just never chose to do either unless my mom put veggies on my plate for dinner, or a P.E. coach made us run laps around the track. As an adult, the extent of my vegetable eating was salads, and the extent of my running was like 5 minutes on the treadmill at the gym to warm up to do other excercises that didn't involve running. I've had so many friends who just LOVED to run, and I never understood the addiction, because all I ever got was a cramp in my side whenever I would try.

But now, I have become two things I never imagined myself becoming: a vegetarian and a runner.

The vegetarian thing had been stirring in me for a while. Even in middle school, I remember one day telling my mom, "I'm no longer eating red meat." I don't know where that came from, but it lasted about 6 months before I gave in again to Chik-fa-la's and hot dogs. Then earlier this year I met another Jacksonville photographer, Darice Michelle, who told me she was a vegan.

"I don't know how you do it!" I said to Darice. "I could never give up meat or dairy."

"That's what I used to think too, you'd be surprised once you set your mind to something," Darice responded.

Even though we didn't go deep into it then, I did take notice how tiny Darice was with a beautiful figure and thought "Ah ha, that must be how she stays so skinny after having two kids! Maybe I should give the vegetarian thing a try."

So I did. For two weeks. My motivation was obviously wrong, so it didn't last. I did though pick her brain at a later time to find out more behind her motivation for the whole vegan lifestyle. And though I wasn't ready at the time, her words and reasonings kept replaying in my head considering it all.

Then this time last month, I randomly watched the movie "Fast Food Nation". Let's just say it was a huge wake up call. Not only does it document how most of the meat we eat has traces of animal poop in it, but at the end, it showed a detailed gory bloody visual of the torture cows are put through in the killing process. All I could think about is someone doing that to my poor Rhett, or the momma duck I've made friends with, and something inside of me finally clicked. I haven't eaten meat or fish or anything living since.

But what's cool is that, I don't feel deprived like I've "given up" something. Instead I've been discovering all the awesomely yummy vegetables and fruits I always ignored before, and my tastebuds have totally shifted. I've even started COOKING all these delicious veggie dinners... hey, that's a big deal for me to whip out the pots and pans.

I can't quite give up chocolate, so I haven't quite gone vegan like Darice, which means no dairy or eggs, but I'm trying slowly to make that adjustment by choosing soymilk instead of regular milk, for example, which is surprisingly VERY yummy! It's been fun to discover the wealth of other alternative products like veggie sausage patties which I'm now addicted to and actually taste better and are less greasy than regular sausage patties.

Anyways, I'm not one to preach about what's right and wrong, but I just simply wanted to share how empowering it's been to make this lifestyle change and know that I'm making healthy choices. It's nice for once to not feel like I have to "watch I eat" but instead enjoy eating what I know is good for me. And as a result, I've been fitting back into pants that were too small, with out even trying.

Also, one of my brides recommended a good book to read if you are thinking of doing the vegetarian/vegan thing. It's called "Skinny Bitch." I just picked it up yesterday and already read half of it. It's really good!

(Any other vegetarians out there???? I'd love to hear if you are!)

So with the healthy eating, I became inspired to start working out again. Earlier this year I had tried to go back to the gym, which lasted for a few weeks, but it became so boring and monotonous, that I just stopped going all together. So one day in my car, I was cruising down this new road they opened up near my place that now completes a circle and clocked the distance which equaled 4 miles. Next thing I know, I'm putting on my tennis shoes and hooking Rhett up on a leash and off we go. Again, big deal for me, because I never run, let alone run OUTSIDE where it's humid and there are bugs and dirt. (This coming from the girl who doesn't even like to walk on grass!)

But it has been so exhilarating and for the first time ever I'm enjoying working out. And I love the fresh air how it clears my mind from all the work related stress. And I love spending that time with Rhett racing him in between his stops at fire hydrants. I always feels so connected to God too in nature, so I get a lot of good prayer time in on the runs. I almost crave it now! And it's been cool to see my body condition itself going from mostly walking with a few sprints here and there, to now mostly jogging with a few walks here and there.

(I've even found a lot of good potential spots along the route that I would LOVE to "trash the dress" with future brides!)

Then like I wrote in my last blog post, I saw my friend Jill Higgins started a "photographers on the run" challenge with the new iPod and Nike shoes dealio. Today was my first day running with my new get up, and I was excited to see I've almost caught up to Jill in one run than she has in all of her runs so far. ha ha

I posted a thing to the right of my blog for the challenge we have going on with other photographers, so if you are a runner too, we'd love to have you in on the challenge! (And you don't have to be a photographer, it's open to anyone!)

Here's a graph of my first run from synching my iPod to the Nikeplus.com site that keeps a record of your progress.



On a closing note, the other thing I never imagined myself being was a wedding photographer.... but as one of my favorite quotes says:

"Lift up your eyes... Your heavenly Father is waiting to bless you in ways you never imagined." ~Janette Ore

All I can say is, thank goodness He knows better than we do! When we finally let go and let Him have control, that's where we find our greatest joys in life!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

12 Comments:

Blogger Liene Stevens said...

Terrica always raves about you, which means we would get along just fine. :)

I picked up skinny bitch a while back, but never read it. I need to get on that.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Jill Higgins said...

Hey girl - I'm a vegetarian too. :)

We need to find a 5K somewhere in north FL or south GA to do!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Long run, Scarlett. Sheesh. I'm so NOT a longdistance runner. I love it, but I do like a 1.8 mile loop ONCE three or four times a week. I keep tellng myself it's better than nothing, even if it only takes me 20 minutes to do.

I don't think I could go for fifty minutes!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scar, please teach me how to enjoy running! I just can't get enough cardio sitting at a desk! Help!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Carla Jean said...

I am not interested in giving up meat (I'm a bit passionate about it) BUT I *do* want to start eating/living healthier. So, I'm interested in the book. :) (I'm with Franca, too... haven't figured out how to enjoy running, but there are other forms of exercise I enjoy... kayaking, dancing...)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Blue Orchid- Awww I love Terrica! Yeah if you are buds with her, I know you and I would get along great too! Enjoy the book!

Jill- Ok, I totally forgot you were veggie too! Yay! I'm really loving it! About the 5K, hmmm, don't know if I'm quite ready for that yet! What is that in miles?

Jamie- Ha ha, it's really not as long as it seems. On the treadmill it would feel like FOREVER, but when you are out and about on the road just going from one place to another, it passes by really quickly. And I like that it's a circle I'm basically walking around my area b/c I that way I have to finish my route and can't give up early like I used to on the treadmill when I got bored!

Franca- As if you need to run you skinny butt you!

Carla- Another skinny butt who doesn't need to run! ;-) But yeah, check out the book. I just read a chapter last night that will definitely make you think twice about your passion for meat. Let's just say I was in tears by the end of the chapter.

4:50 PM  
Blogger BethLaurren said...

Hi - I found you through Sarah's site and thought I'd drop by. I love the photos in your header. Keep up with the running! I haven't quite made it to the vegetarian camp, but love running!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

I've been a vegetarian since I was 11-years-old...last I heard, veggies make you take better pictures! ;)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Carla Jean said...

I added it to my paperbackswap.com wish list. I'll let you know when/if I get it! I think you'd have to work REALLY hard to get me off meat, but you never know. :shrug:

5:51 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Beth- Thanks for stopping by! Glad to have you here!

Jazz- Wow, that's awesome you are a vegetarian too! So cool!

Carla- Oooh cool website. Great idea to help the cost of buying new books!

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh do I love RUNNING! I never use to though. Then about 1.5 years ago I couldn't stop. I was running an average of 4-6 miles a day. The trick to getting motivated is all in the I-POD baby!! You've got to have some kick ass songs that pump you up. Ones that are fast, upbeat that make you want to just fly!!!!!! I would have a whole routine of songs to run to that would challenge me in new ways. I can't run anymore but when I did I was a lunatic. I never ran at the same speed. I ran according to the speed of the song and had to keep up. I also ran backwards! Boy did that get heads turning especially when cars would drive by, I could see them looking at me in confusion, I always got a kick out of that. My favorite part of running was when I got "runners high". Just when you feel like you can't go further, the cramps settle in, your feet hurt, and your chest feels like it's about to pop out of its sockets, KEEP GOING! Breath deeper, slower and when you exhale blow it out quickly till there's no more oxygen left in your lungs. Do this about 10 times and the cramps disappear, your heart strengthens to where you can run more & further and then a little after this is when you "climax". Once you get "high" your body does something amazing. All of a sudden you have this new energy level that enables you to run an additonal extra 3 miles or so. That's the high! It's incredible. And once you've experience your first runners high, you'll be back for more! Running with your i-pod is key. Get lost in the music. Feel alive as your body and mind enter a whole new world as you run. You will grow as a person for it. And you will feel happier for it. Another big peace of advice is drink a 12-16 oz bottle of water before you go. Then drink another bottle when you get back. Also drink some propel before you run or during. And within 30-40 minutes AFTER your run eat foods that are high in the glycemic index chart.

Watermelon
Dried dates
Instant mashed potatoes
Baked white potato
Parsnips
Rutabaga
Instant rice
Corn Flakes™
Rice Krispies™
Cheerios™
Bagel, white
Bananas

These foods will refuel you for your next run. This is called Power Eating. It gives you more power for your next run.

As far as being vegan, well that's another whole chapter that I'd love to share with you all. I'll have to do that at another time. But for those of you that are dieing to scratch that curious itch, I will say this...being vegan is so FREEING and invigerating. Once you become vegan something incredible takes place in your body but more importantly...spiritually.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Darice- Ha ha... that's why I love you! You have such an awesome enthusiasm for life. Funny enough, everything you just described, I really did experience for the first time yesterday. When I started my run, I was like, oh no, because my ankles were killing me and I didn't think there was anyway I could run. But then after walking a little, my body warmed up and the pain in my ankles went away and I pushed myself anyways. Next thing I know, I was taking all these longer routes in and out of neighborhoods and running so much more than I usually do, and before I know it, I had ran my longest ran yet at 5.3 miles! Even Lance Armstrong came on my iPod and said a big "Congratulations! You just finished your longest run yet! Keep at it!" That shocked me to suddenly hear his sexy voice in my ears, but was cool to hear.

Anyways, it's definitely great to feel my body conditioning itself. I have always hated running, but it really becoming fun now. And the more you push yourself, the more addictive it becomes to continue challenging yourself. I can't believe I spent all those years trying to run on the treadmill. Running outside makes ALL the difference!

Thanks too for the tips about the food!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home